Reiki - Why Reiki Works
by Shamal Durve
Reiki is universal life force energy. Naturally, we are all a part of this energy, but because of our karmas and samskaras, we block the flow of this energy, which leads to an imbalance. Our aura gets blocked, the mind struggles and the body becomes fatigued and sick.
In India, all existing systems of healing aim at strengthening the process of receiving energy and creating a balanced flow in the body, so that the mind is at peace. Reiki also works in a similar way. To begin with there is an initiation based on mantras. These mantras activate our chakras and we receive universal life force in the appropriate manner and are also able to channelise it.
Chakras and Reiki
When we are in tune with the universal life force the following things happen:
- Union of individual energy and universal energy. The individual energy that is kundalini is in the root chakra (muladhar). This energy is restless until it meets the universal life force. Uniting the two is the purpose of human birth, so this process is ongoing within each human being.
- Tantra believes that today the collective energy of mankind has settled in the solar plexus (manipur) which means that it has moved from the root chakra, passed through the hara and reached the solar plexus. This has resulted in power issues erupting everywhere, characterized by competition, pride, jealousy, and a sense of personal inadequacy. The next movement is toward the heart chakra (anahat). We can see that society on the whole is tired of ego hassles and struggles and the search for peace and clarity has already begun.
- This impetus towards the heart chakra has its correspondence with the reiki system where the first initiation lies in activating the heart chakra. The heart chakra is the home of consciousness. It is said that a kalpavruksha exists in the heart chakra, granting all wishes. As I understand it, the reiki heart initiation signifies not just wish fulfillment, but also the ability to accept what is, which I call appropriateness. Appropriateness in my lexicon means receiving all that is required for our growth and completion. We may like it or we may not, but once the heart chakra is activated, everything begins to happen exactly the way it is required. The question is how to accept this? This is the job of the throat chakra (vishudhi). Therefore, the second initiation activates the throat chakra, which brings in awareness and balance. We become aware of what we have chosen in life and a sense of balance helps us to complete the energy exchange without resistance. We trust the appropriateness of whatever befalls us. We completely accept what we receive. To remain in this knowledge is awareness.
- From the throat chakra the energy moves upwards so the next initiation activates the third eye chakra(ajna). The third eye chakra gives us the power of altruism. It empowers us to focus as much on the growth and completion of others as on our own. We cannot be happy if people around us are unhappy. Activation of the third eye begins the process of healing the past, enabling you to overcome your karmas and samskaras. The third eye chakra is also connected with the guru tatva. Its activation enables the seeker to find his guru (this happened in my life and I can see it happening with many, many more) either in another or within himself or in nature.
- The fourth initiation activates the crown chakra (sahasrar) where we can experience the union of the individual and life force energy. At this stage, the antennae are fine-tuned and the human being receives the energy directly in the required quantity.
The lower chakras have a correspondence with one or other of the higher chakras. The root chakra where the energy that wants to meet the universal life force resides – is connected with crown chakra where this meeting actually takes place. The hara, the zone of desires and emotions, is connected with the third eye chakra. At this higher level desires expand to include all humanity.
Similarly, the solar plexus is connected with the throat and reconciles power issues through awareness, as explained earlier. When one experiences oneself as source, all power issues fall away, leaving no chance for imbalance.
Reiki works as follows: From the heart chakra, energy goes into the hands, palms and the small chakras, which are at the centre of the palms and finger tips, activating them in the process. Wherever the initiated one touches, energy flows, as he works like an antenna. It can be a body or an object or part of nature, for everything is cosmic energy. This transmission of energy by the initiated causes healing to happen. Purification is the process and healing is the result. The power of this touch comes from its holistic nature, emerging from a deep acceptance of everything, combined with compassion. It has the capacity to contain both the positive and negative, akin to our stories about Sri Ram and Sri Krishna, where negativity is always depicted as generating positivity.
This ability to call forth the positive from the negative is what I call healing. Thus, the so-called positive is for us to learn to trust the providence of God and get energy from, and the so-called negative is for learning and completing issues of the past. Each of us, healer and the healed, undergoes this process, which means that receiving reiki energy is an act of completing something in the past.
Each iota of existence goes through this process leading to the healing of all incompletion and opening to the present. Continuous and consistent reiki practice enables you to achieve this aim without judgments and interpretations. All this is at reiki one level.
As higher levels of consciousness are reached, resistance will keep blocking the path with simple and stupid reasons telling the mind not to practice. But this is the test one has to undergo to overcome resistance.
At the second level, one is taught mantras that are attuned to the energy of the third eye chakra. The second level signifies the expansion of chitta or mind. This expanded mind can reach anywhere with the help of intention. The power of the mantras arises because they embody swayambhu (self-created) and swayamsidha (self-sufficient) energies. Chanting a mantra creates certain energies. The symbols too generate energy. The ultimate purpose of these energies is to promote the tantric goal of union between individual and universal energy (prakruti and purush). Drawing the symbols creates the mechanism for drawing energy, while mantra chanting activates it so that it draws from the universe whatever energy is required for purposes such as purification, protection or charging.
These symbols and mantras have no limitation and when used with the intention of healing, they can heal the past. Only then can the present open up and create a future that is not a repetition of the past. This is the greatest boon a human being has – of healing the past through all births and forms. A person reaching the second level can heal herself or himself, other people, a group of people, family, any object, city, country, earth and the universe. This is the greatest service a human being can do.
Continuous practice at this level expands the mind so much that it becomes attuned with global mind, enabling you to act according to the requirement of the moment. We are able to receive the messages (relayed constantly by the global mind but otherwise blocked by the ceaseless activity of the mind), and perform accordingly.
One of the traps of reaching this stage is the strengthening of the ego. You will feel special, different, better and higher than others. However, everyone has to go through and be healed of this stage.
This is the time one will start wanting to do the third level. This is a very complicated state. On the one hand, you have some experiences you want to heal while on the other, your ego is on the rise. The third level is the key towards mastery of your life, which is why it is known as the master symbol. However, this does not mean that you are a master. Only an enlightened soul is called a master. But the third level can be the first step in the direction of becoming a master if you choose it with awareness and gratitude. Once again, a deep purification and cleansing happens, possibly triggering big changes in one’s life. One who is taking the third level initiation should be prepared for this. This is an ongoing process.
You will have to undergo more healing, more purification and also make all this available for others, wherein they can also choose the responsibility of healing. This, according to me, is how the reiki system functions.
Subject: Connect - 9 April 2011
connecting mind with the global mind is mersmerising. I have already dont reiki till second level, and by reading here, i am inspired to do the third level.
Subject: why reiki works - 6 July 2009
good inference....for reiki to work one has to become reiki...to be reiki you have to remove your ego...i.e. that i am the healer and i am doing this or that....you are just the facilatator, like the wire which connects the light bulb to the switch. the switch is the source of healing and the More...
by: renu kakkar
|HOME | SUBSCRIBE | WALLPAPERS | ADVERTISING | POLICY | PRACTITIONERS | WRITERS | PEOPLE | ABOUT | CONTACT|