SMELL PHARMACY AT HOME
• Massage: Aromatherapy massage is a comprehensive body therapy which rejuvenates, nourishes and heals. More so when combined with acupressure, polarity therapy, shiatsu and reflexology.
• For optimum results: thoroughly mix chosen essential oil or oil blends in the carrier oil just before use (10 drops to 15 ml or three tea spoons of carrier oil, less for children, asthmatic and elderly people).
• Any good odorless, colorless oil from the kitchen cabinet will work as a carrier oil. But never use baby oil. If you take a massage after a bath or steam, the dry, open pores will aid absorption of oils which takes from 20-90 minutes. Use room temperature oil, follow normal massage techniques, drape cloth over skin as soon as massage is over. Avoid bathing for a few hours afterwards.
• Bath: Particularly effective for fluid retention, insomnia, menstrual problems, depression, stress, aching muscles, poor blood circulation. Swish eight drops of oils in warm bathwater, stir vigorously and soak for 15-20 minutes.
• If your skin is dry, mix the aromatic oils in a tablespoon of carrier oil before pouring into bath water. Rub the skin gently with towel to aid absorption. To get relief for tired, aching, swollen feet, try a foot bath with lemon and peppermint oil.
•Mouth wash: This is useful for mouth ulcers and bleeding gums. Add five drops to a glass of water, rinse mouth and spit out.
•Inhalation and steaming: Effective for respiratory problems and congestion. Sprinkle 6-8 drops of essential oil in tepid water. Close the eyes, bend over the bowl, cover the head with a towel and inhale deeply for a few minutes. This will deep-cleanse and rehydrate skin.
•For direct inhalation, sprinkle a couple of drops on your pillow or tissue and inhale: Peppermint for a headache, eucalyptus for congestion, lavender and marjoram for insomnia.
•Compresses: Use cold compresses for headaches, bruises, aches, sprains, fevers; and hot ones for boils or menstrual pains. Stir 6-8 drops of oil in half a cup of water. Soak a thin tower or handkerchief, wring and place over affected area.
•Vaporization: Ideal as safe and natural air-freshners, mood enhancers. Also of germicidal value. Place a few drops on a heat source: a light bulb, a small bowl of warm water, an aromatic diffuser. Replenish oil after an hour or two. Vaporizing lemongrass oil keeps away mosquitoes, camomile eases hyperactivity and cranky feelings in a child.
•Perfume: The fragrance of essential oils, though less dramatic, actually suppresses any foul body odours by a physiochemical action that destroys, hinders or neutralizes germs. Blend oils of your choice. 10 drops to 100 ml of light carrier oil such as sweet almond and use on body. Use 10 drops to 100 ml of carrier.
TIPS FOR A HEALTHY DIET
• Stick to a vegetarian diet.
•Eat lots of pulses, green vegetables, sprouts and salads.
• Eat fresh food and fruits.
• Drink four glasses of water on an empty stomach early in the morning.
• Have a light breakfast, a moderate lunch and a light dinner.
• Avoid in-between meals.
• Keep fixed meal times.
SPIRIT OF SHADES
• Red: Increases blood circulation, alertness and self-confidence; decreases lethargy and depression.
• Orange: Increases confidence and joy; decreases loneliness and fatigue.
• Yellow: Increases memory, persuasive abilities and charm; decreases desire to be critical.
• Green: Strengthens finance, luck and energy; reduces claustrophobia, indecisiveness and anxiety.
• Blue: Heightens tranquility and patience; lowers negativity and stress.
• Indigo: Increases stability and rational thought and actions; decreases blood pressure and impulsiveness.
• Violet: Increases psychic ability and spirituality; decreases aggression and insomnia.
SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT
LIST OF PRACTITIONERS
Alberta T3E4L6 Canada