Best Treatment Options and Hospitals for Liver Cancer Therapy
According to the statistics of the World Cancer Research Fund, liver cancer is in fifth place among the most widespread tumors in men. Scientists state that the main reason is the higher prevalence of disease risk factors, like obesity and excessive alcohol consumption.
High disease incidence leads to the elaboration of the new treatment options. In addition to individualized surgical interventions (e.g. atypical liver resections, robotic surgery), oncological foci in the liver can be destroyed with high-energy radio waves or ethanol (embolization). Chemotherapy can now be combined with targeted therapy or immunotherapy.
An informed selection of the suitable treatment option
As a rule, medical programs have few aims. The first one is destroying the neoplasm completely or preventing its growth and metastasizing. The second one is alleviating the disease manifestations and improving patients’ life quality. Depending on the disease stage, these aims are achieved by the diverse means:
- Surgery includes removing half of the organ, its certain part of the full organ. The extensive liver resection may be followed by liver transplant performing.
- Radiofrequency ablation is a minimally invasive procedure that uses high-energy radio waves for the neoplasm destruction. Percutaneous alcohol ablation applies ethanol, and cryotherapy freezes malignant cells with cold gases
- Chemotherapy is administered orally or, as a more efficient procedure, drugs are injected into the hepatic artery directly (transarterial chemoembolization).
- Immunotherapy stimulates the patient's anti-cancer immunity. Opdivo (nivolumab) is the medication of choice in this case.
- Targeted therapy is suitable for patients with unresectable tumors. Nexavar (sorafenib) is the first-line medication, and Lenvima (lenvatinib) is an alternative option.
- Radiotherapy has limited indications as the healthy liver tissue is highly susceptible to the irradiation and can be damaged severely.
Each treatment program is typically followed by the rehabilitation one, which consolidates the achieved results and fights with side effects of the therapy.
World’s leading specialized hospitals for liver cancer treatment
List of the world’s best-specialized hospitals is renewed annually, in concordance with the updated data on success rates, laboratory and medical equipment, qualifications of the healthcare professionals, participating in the clinical trials, results of the scientific research, etc. Currently, a patient is advised to consider such healthcare institutions:
- University Hospital Ulm.
- Charite University Hospital.
- University Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Primus Super Speciality Hospital.
In large hospitals, doctors are not restricted in their choice of diagnostic or curative procedures. They use the most efficient interventions and medications for restoring the patient’s well-being.
Reliable liver cancer treatment abroad with Booking Health
As a rule, the best hospitals of oncological specialization offer medical services to foreign patients and have limited quotas for this. Period of being on the waiting list mainly depends on the hospital type and required medical procedure (e.g. high-technology minimally invasive robotic surgery or conventional chemotherapy). If your case is urgent or you just want to receive treatment abroad with maximal convenience, you may use services of Booking Health.
Booking Health GmbH facilitates liver cancer treatment abroad for patients from 75 countries. The reliability of the company’s work is confirmed by the international quality control certificate ISO 9001:2015 in the field of medical tourism. Booking Health assists patients in:
- Choosing the most appropriate hospital for liver cancer treatment.
- Preparing preliminary medical program with necessary for diagnosis and treatment procedures.
- Booking the appointment, including the urgent or distant consultation.
- Providing favorable costs for medical services, without additional fees for foreign patients (saving up to 50%).
- Communication with the clinic after treatment completion, receiving and translating medical reports.
- Financial control, return of unspent funds.
- Organization of rehabilitation or additional procedures, if necessary.
- Full-package of the highest level non-medical services: booking accommodation and tickets, transfer, and services of an interpreter.