By Salila Tiwary
Thirty years ago while building my house in Delhi, I was moved by the plight of the construction workers, toiling in terrible heat for hours.
I started going to their slums, and I found that unemployment and absence of work due to sickness was the main cause of their poverty. I took the sick to the hospitals, but ‘modern medicines’ and ‘treatment’ did not give permanent solutions. My husband suggested I train myself in alternative therapy to help them. Thus began my journey from an ordinary housewife to successful naturopath.
Through naturopathy, I learnt the important role of natural raw food, which could cure many diseases including cancer. I realised that the cooking process robs food of many essential nutrients like vitamins, enzymes and minerals, which are essential for keeping our immunity levels high. Armed with this knowledge, I altered my lifestyle and eating habits. My four grandchildren have never been given any medicine or vaccination, but their diet is rich in natural foods like amla, carrots, lemon, honey and many other immunity-building foods. As a result, we rarely fall ill, and if we do we immediately fast and detoxify to get back into action.
Now my day starts at 4 am. I do my yoga, pranayama, and meditation, and have my lemon-honey drink. Then I go for my morning walk. My breakfast consists of a glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice. For lunch, I have lots of sprouts and salads. In the evening, again I drink a glass of juice. Dinner is usually a light meal consisting of fresh vegetable soup. At least half of my food is always raw. I fast every Thursday and detoxify my body. Even at the age of 65, I am full of energy and vitality, and work for 8-10 hours daily.
I find I have also become a changed person. Earlier I used to be very aggressive and egoistic, whereas now I am more peaceful and have developed a “witness attitude”. Good health cannot be bought across the counter. Medicines cannot compensate for lack of fresh air, water intake, natural food, exercise, meditation, or sunlight. Eat natural, drink natural, think natural and unnatural things like disease will never happen.
Recipe for good health
• Drink at least two glasses of water first thing in the morning (Lemon-honey water instead of bed tea).
• In season, drink fresh amla juice (2-3 amlas). You can add honey (highly recommended for those suffering from cold / cough / allergy / asthma/ highBP / obesity). Heart patients should add juice of 2 garlic cloves
• For breakfast, have only a glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice
and some whole fruit. Children, pregnant women and nursing mothers can add fruit and milk or sprouts.
• Herbal tea instead of tea and coffee.
• Make whole fibre-rich foods a part of your daily menu.
• Lunch should include sprouts, salads, fresh green chutney and raita with plenty of vegetables. Make rotis with combination flour consisting of wheat, chana, soyabean, corn and jau. You can also add finely chopped green leafy vegetables like palak, bathua, dhania and pudina.
• Keep dinner light and include vegetable soup and leafy vegetables
• Fast, taking only water or fruit or vegetable juice, once a week especially if you are feeling unwell
• Enhance the nutritive value of sprouts like moong, moth, chana, groundnuts, by adding baked or boiled potato, finely chopped onion, tomato, cucumber, dhania and seasoned with black salt, roasted cumin seed powder and a dash of lemon juice
• Some healthy soups:
a) Lotus stem soup: Finely chop cleaned lotus stem and boil with cardamom. Add milk and salt. Contains iodine and is very good for thyroid disorders
b) Mutter ke chilke ka soup (Green peas peel soup): Wash well. Add water, finely chopped garlic, green onion, ginger and coriander leaves. Simmer on low heat, and puree. Add lemon, roasted cumin powder and salt to taste.
Dr Salila Tiwari is a renowned naturopath who runs a clinic in New Delhi and a residential hospital at Uttarakhand.
Life Positive follows a stringent review publishing mechanism. Every review received undergoes -
Only after we're satisfied about the authenticity of a review is it allowed to go live on our website
Our award winning customer care team is available from 9 a.m to 9 p.m everyday
All our healers and therapists undergo training and/or certification from authorized bodies before becoming professionals. They have a minimum professional experience of one year
All our healers and therapists are genuinely passionate about doing service. They do their very best to help seekers (patients) live better lives.
All payments made to our healers are secure up to the point wherein if any session is paid for, it will be honoured dutifully and delivered promptly
Every seekers (patients) details will always remain 100% confidential and will never be disclosed