By Mamta Singh
Alternative therapies like herbalism, ayurveda, acupuncture and homeopathy have several cures for impotence.
It is not be the end of the road if you suffer from impotence. Erectile dysfunction often stems from medical conditions like diabetes, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, ruptured veins, hormone imbalance, spinal injuries and atherosclerosis. It can also be the result of medications taken for depression, hypertension, cancer and heart conditions. Excessive intake of alcohol, drugs or smoking are equally culpable as are stress and fatigue. Men who suffer from this condition are often in denial until it takes its toll on a relationship or marriage. Here are the seven tested therapies that have been found to work.
According to The Essential Guide to Vitamins, Minerals and Herbal Supplements by Brewer (2010), there are several potent herbs that provide good natural remedy for impotence.
a. Catuaba bark is found on a tree of the same name in Brazil. It has a powerful effect on the central nervous system and the libido. It helps maintain potency and improves fertility.
b. Garlic is reputed to improves circulation and facilitate the erectile function.
c. Muira Puama is a Brazilian herb that increases sexual desire and improves overall sexual functions. It is a known nerve stimulator.
d. Saw Palmetto reduces impotence and increases sex drive. It is also known to treat other disorders of the reproductive system and urinary infections.
e. Tribulus terrestris is an Ayurvedic medicinal herb used to treat impotence
f. Ginseng helps produce energy, develops endocrine glands and is a known sexual enhancer
g. Cnidium seed is of Chinese origin. It increases sperm count and secretion while stimulating sexual desire and preventing premature ejaculation.
h. Yohimbe is a powerful plant source with the same effects as Viagra without the harmful side-effects. It does, however, have some adverse side-effects of its own.
In reflexology, the reflexes and meridians located in the different vertical and traverse zones of the foot and corresponding different body organs and systems are worked upon. To treat impotence in men, massage techniques like slide and roll, hooking, press and roll are used on the foot with essential oils. The points/reflexes on foot worked on to treat impotence are the reproductive gland, kidney, adrenal glands, pituitary glands, penis and the inguinal grove. See below.
Ayurveda has been using the vajikarana therapy to treat impotence successfully for ages. With certain caveats of age (18 – 70 years of age) and self-control, vajikarana can be effectively administered to overcome the condition. This therapy involves eschewing alcohol, tobacco, smoking, drugs and spicy and stale foods. Over work, stress and exertion are to be avoided as well. It also calls for weight reduction, proper nutrition and sleep along with regular exercises, body massage, regular practice of yoga and meditation and a healthy gap of two to four days between two sessions of intercourse.
Besides these practices, ayurveda also prescribes eating the right dosage of certain herbs and preparations at the right times and following a strict diet, to promote overall sexual health. Herbs and formulations like shatavari (asparagus), mucuna, butea, tribulu, brahmi, ashwagandha, mandookparni, javithri, jatiphala, swarna bhasma, rajat bhasma and mukta pisthi are used to revive flagging sexual potency.
Hypnosis as an alternative therapy works well for men who suffer from psychological and not physiological impotence. Hypnosis will assist the patient in relaxing and eliminating the stress that has paralysed his actions and makes him focus only on getting and maintaining a state of penis arousal by over-analysis and self-deprecation.
Hypnosis should always be learnt from a certified hypnotist and self-hypnosis should be tried only in the presence of a qualified hypnotist until the ropes of the therapy are learnt. Both approaches follow the same basic four stages of induction, deepening, suggestion and awakening. Here is an indicative session of self-hypnosis:
1. Write down all the suggestions you want to make to yourself during the hypnotic state on a piece of paper. Suggestion should be written in positive and active voice and in the present tense.
2. Read it a couple of times so that you know what to suggest to yourself.
3. Block out external noises with very soft instrumental music of your choice.
4. Sit on a mat on an even floor and close your eyes softly.
5. Take a deep breath and exhale. Repeat.
6. Take your attention (with closed eyes) to your head (skull). Tell yourself that the muscles in your head are relaxing and that they are not stressed, taut or tense. Breathe in slow and deep.
7. Move to the forehead. Tell yourself to let go of tight forehead muscles and eyebrows. While doing this breathe in and out slowly and fully.
8. Continue with other parts of the body – eyes, nose, lips, tongue, cheeks, chin, neck, shoulders, arms, palms, fingers, chest, abdomen, thighs (quadriceps, hamstrings and piriformis), knees, shin, calves, ankle, feet and toes.
9. Take a little bit longer in body parts you feel need more time to relax. Do not hurry this process.
10. Start your suggestions to yourself by speaking out slowly and clearly.
11. Wait for approximately 15 seconds and repeat the suggestion slowly and clearly.
12. After you are done, wait for 30 seconds for the messages and process to sink in and calm to build in.
13. Awaken yourself by telling that you are arising out of trance and that you are now fresh to start the day with new energy and beliefs.
14. Slowly open your eyes, wait a few seconds before arising.
To treat impotency, a homeopath may need to work in collaboration with a psychiatrist. Some effective homeopathic medicines used for treating impotence are listed below.
a. Argentum nitricum is prescribed for those who suffer from erectile dysfunction.
b. Agnus castus is given when the patient is anxious and often suffers from loss of memory and focus.
c. Lycopodium is meant for impotent patients who lack self-esteem, suffer from bloating and other digestive problems.
d. Baryta carb is recommended for impotency in which the symptoms of the disease can include the lowering of sexual desire and impulses, premature ejaculation.
e. Kali-Brom, China and nux vom are some other medicines prescribed to treat impotence in homeopathy
Sujok, biofeedback, reiki and Chinese medicine among others also provide equally effective alternative therapies to help sufferers of impotence overcome their difficult condition.
Life Positive follows a stringent review publishing mechanism. Every review received undergoes -
Only after we're satisfied about the authenticity of a review is it allowed to go live on our website
Our award winning customer care team is available from 9 a.m to 9 p.m everyday
All our healers and therapists undergo training and/or certification from authorized bodies before becoming professionals. They have a minimum professional experience of one year
All our healers and therapists are genuinely passionate about doing service. They do their very best to help seekers (patients) live better lives.
All payments made to our healers are secure up to the point wherein if any session is paid for, it will be honoured dutifully and delivered promptly
Every seekers (patients) details will always remain 100% confidential and will never be disclosed
Local application oils for massage as per the patient’s body constitution (vata, pitta or kapha) to promote topical circulation is also recommended in ayurveda. The base oil used is usually til or sesame. Medicinal substances are added to the oil based on the constitution of the patient.
• Vata oils made with brihati, gokshura, nimba, punarnava, prishaniparni, syonaka, kstha, vacha, saindhava
• Pitta oils that use champaka, shwet chandana, bala, yastimadhu, ketaki, ela, satapushpa, usheer, devdaru
• Kapha oils made from nigundi, amalki, haritaki, vibhitaki, nimba, anantamoola