By Jamuna Rangachari
We are born whole and complete, with an integrated body, mind and spirit. We can heal ourselves by restoring this balance and returning to our natural state of being
When I was young, I used to have severe stomach upsets when my exams were round the corner. I knew it was due to my anxiety and began to learn to de-stress myself. Gradually, this reduced.
This is not an unusual experience. Most of us have experienced controlling our bodily distresses through using our mind. Yet, we still do not acknowledge the profound connection between physical, emotional and spiritual balance.
Cracks in the ‘whole’
Louise L. Hay, the author of You Can Heal your Life, has assisted thousands of people to discover their potential and heal themselves. She affirms that all diseases are really a signal that all is not quite right with our perceptions and beliefs, which by extension means that if we change these beliefs, resolution, or healing, is within reach. Accordingly, she has listed out the negative thought patterns behind a staggering number of diseases, with suggested affirmations to overcome them (box 1). Through her trail-blazing book, she has been instrumental in moving millions across the world towards a more holistic understanding of illness and healing. When Louise herself was diagnosed with cancer, she bade for time and took full responsibility for her own healing. Detoxification, psychological counseling, foot reflexology and, most of all, working on approving and loving herself, helped her heal completely. With the doctors too agreeing that the cancerous growth had totally gone, she reiterates, “Dis-ease can be healed, if we are willing to change the way we think, believe and act.”
Parulekar (name changed), an allopath in Mumbai who is exploring the spiritual reasons for disease, believes that the cycle that we all go through can be summed up in the following steps:
• We are born whole
• We experience some kind of trauma
• The trauma leads either to a feeling of victim hood or aggression
• Whether we deal with trauma as victims or aggressors, the result is a loss of love
• The loss of love makes some part of ourselves die. This death is not a physical death but a disassociation or declining of some kind from our inner being.
• The death of an integral part of our being creates a state of disease
“The state of disease, therefore, can be healed only when we resolve these issues with maturity and return to being whole,” he says categorically.
Martin Brofman, the author of Anything Can be Healed, was diagnosed with a tumour in the spinal cord in 1975 and given only a couple of months to live. Working on himself through creative visualization, meditation, affirmations and the Eastern philosophies, he succeeded in totally curing himself. He then went on to heal others and teach them to heal themselves, evolving a technique known as the Body-Mind Mirror system that represents the idea that one’s body is the mirror of one’s life, and uses chakras in his healing process.
Chakras’ literally means ‘wheels’. Constantly moving energy vortices, chakras are channels for spiritual energy to flow through and manifest in our physical body. Each chakra stands for a specific energy and emotion, and when all are in balance, we are completely healthy. Conversely, when there is a blockage in any chakra, the energy flow gets hampered, which then manifests itself as a disease.
We can use chakras to understand and heal imbalances and gradually awaken our conscious minds to our true spiritual natures.
It’s interesting to note that both chakra therapy and the affirmation approach point to more or less the same flaw in our thought patterns and beliefs. For instance, thyroid is related to a blockage in the fifth chakra, that signifies communication and expression. Even in the Hay methodology, thyroid imbalances emerge partly from an inability to express clearly. Similarly, diabetes in both approaches indicates an issue with control.
What you Believe, you shall Manifest
The ‘placebo’ effect in which patients start feeling better after doctors give a sugar pill, with absolutely no medicinal properties, just goes to demonstrate what a strong impact belief plays in our healing.
is indeed surprising that while we willingly submit ourselves to doctors for surgery, take any number of tablets, undergo expensive treatments, believing that others can heal us, we can never quite believe in our own abilities to heal. As Martin Brofman says in his book, “Most people would not believe in their own abilities to heal, though they were willing to believe in mine.”
This must change if we wish to heal ourselves.
Ultimately, whether one uses chakra therapy or affirmations or any other system, the key is an understanding of the imbalance that caused the disease and tapping into the immense creative and healing reservoir of strength that we all have.
the same time, self-healing has its limits. Perfect health may not be ours no matter how pure we get. Let us never forget that great souls like Ramakrishna Paramahansa and Nisargadatta Maharaj met their deaths through cancer. The role of karma cannot be overlooked. It may be that we are not meant to heal. Ultimately, we must all die and disease is still the most common cause of that.
Having said that, it is still important to proceed from the awareness that we can heal ourselves, for within these limitations, it is indeed true.
Life Positive follows a stringent review publishing mechanism. Every review received undergoes -
Only after we're satisfied about the authenticity of a review is it allowed to go live on our website
Our award winning customer care team is available from 9 a.m to 9 p.m everyday
All our healers and therapists undergo training and/or certification from authorized bodies before becoming professionals. They have a minimum professional experience of one year
All our healers and therapists are genuinely passionate about doing service. They do their very best to help seekers (patients) live better lives.
All payments made to our healers are secure up to the point wherein if any session is paid for, it will be honoured dutifully and delivered promptly
Every seekers (patients) details will always remain 100% confidential and will never be disclosed
• Probable cause: Running away from the self. Fear. Not knowing how to love the self.
• Thought pattern to heal: I now discover how wonderful I am. I choose to love and enjoy myself.
• Probable cause: Feeling unloved. Criticism. Resentment.
• Thought pattern to heal: I am love. I now choose to love and approve of myself. I see others with love.
• Probable cause: Smother love. Inability to breathe for one’s self. Feeling stifled. Suppressed crying.
• Thought pattern to heal: It is safe now for me to take charge of my own life. I choose to be free.
• Probable cause: Deep hurt. Longstanding resentment. Deep secret or grief eating away at the self. Carrying hurts. “What’s the use?”
• Thought pattern to heal: I lovingly release and free all of the past. I choose to fill the world with joy. I love and approve of myself.
• Probable cause: Longing for what has been. A need to control. Deep sorrow. No sweetness left.
• Thought pattern to heal: This moment is filled with joy. I now choose to experience the sweetness of today.
• Probable cause: Oversensitivity. Often represents fear and a need for protection. Fear may be a cover for hidden anger and a resistance to forgive.
• Thought pattern to heal: I am protected by divine love. I am always safe and secure. I am willing to grow up and take responsibility for my own life. I forgive others, and I now create my own life the way I want it. I am safe.
• Probable cause: Resistance. Boredom. Lack of love for what one does.
• Thought pattern to heal: I am enthusiastic about life and filled with energy and enthusiasm.
• Probable cause: Humiliation. “I never get to do what I want to do. When is it going to be my turn?”
• Thought pattern to heal: I move beyond old limitations and allow myself to express freely and creatively.
• Probable cause: Fear. A strong belief that you are not good enough. What is eating away at you?
• Thought pattern to heal: I love and approve of myself. I am at peace. I am calm. All is well.
Excerpted from You Can Heal your Life by Louise L Hay
Know your Chakras and Heal your Ailment
Root chakra, security centre.
Location: The perineum. The point between the anus and sex organs.
• This chakra is associated with all elements in the consciousness that are concerned with security, survival and trust. For most people, security is linked to their jobs and relationship with money.
• Imbalances here could cause problems in the legs, and allergies to all products from the earth or mothering element, for instance, allergies to dairy products, wheat and hay fever.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color red helps restore balance.
Spleen chakra, sensation centre.
Location: The centre of the abdomen.
• This chakra is associated with the pleasure principle, primarily that of the pleasure we get from food and sex.
• Imbalances here could cause excessive craving, indulgence or deprivation of food and/or sex.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the colour orange helps restore balance.
Solar plexus chakra, power centre.
Location: Solar plexus.
• This chakra is associated with the perceptions of power, control, freedom and the ease with which we can be ourselves.
• Imbalances here could cause problems with eyesight and diabetes.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color yellow helps restore balance.
Heart chakra, Living love centre.
Location: Centre of the chest.
• From this chakra onwards, the key word is ‘relating’. All chakras beginning from the heart chakra upwards are about our relationship with the world and the environment. The heart chakra signifies our perception on receiving, giving and experiencing love.
• Imbalances here could cause cancer and AIDS
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color green helps restore balance.
Throat chakra, cornucopia centre.
Location: Base of the throat.
• The throat chakra signifies expression and reception and the manifestation of our goals.
• Imbalances here could cause problems in the arms or throat-related problems.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color blue helps restore balance.
Brow or third eye chakra, consciousness awareness centre.
Location: Centre of the forehead.
• The throat chakra signifies the deep inner being, the atman or spirit.
• Imbalances here could cause problems in physical growth like dwarfism or gigantism.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color indigo helps restore balance.
Crown chakra, “I am” centre.
Location: Top of the head.
• The crown chakra signifies the part of our being concerned with unity or separation. It represents our relationship with our father, and authority in general.
• Imbalances here could cause problems in the nervous system, such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
• Meditating on the chakra by visualizing the color violet helps restore balance.
Excerpted from Anything can be healed by Martin Brofman