PREVENTIVE HEALTH CARE WITH FLOAT THERAPY IN SENSORY DEPRIVATION TANK
Float / Floatation therapy is 21st century antidote for the hectic lifestyle we all undergo with causing undue stress in our daily life style.This unique experience of laying still in a float pod or float room with zero distractions,zero light,zero sound in near zero gravity helps us achieve deep and profound relaxation. When gravity is removed from your body,it has a chance to recover and regenerate up to 4 times faster than regular night sleep.This results in reduction of blood pressure and oxygen intake, while increasing blood flow and distribution of red blood cells. The added benefits include flushing lactate, cortisone, and adrenaline that have built up over a period of time during exercise or any other physical activity.Further the stress chemicals like cortisols drop while happiness chemicals like endorphins and dopamine secretion increases. Floatation therapy also helps slacken the stiff muscles and aid floaters in a greater degree of control over their nervous systems.The overall benefits are reduction of risk of injury, accelerating the recovery process, and releases vast quantities of endorphins. Endorphins are mainly responsible for the body’s natural painkiller secretion, helping to soothe pain from injuries, aches or chronic pain in the muscles and joints. The release of endorphins can have magical effects to reduce pain in a completely natural and powerful way with no drugs or surgery accelerating the natural processes of healing.
The following are few benefits of floatation therapy for the body and mind:
1)Relief from back and neck pain-The near zero gravity environment is experienced while floating, helps to soothe pressures and tension in the back and neck. This is the result of no longer fighting the pull of gravity.
2) Relief from Joint pain – Float therapy is floating in a high concentration of Epsom salt water with its high density capable of supporting your body, allowing increased blood flow to your joints,muscles and cells.
3) Regeneration of muscle tissues-While floating in a deep and meditative state of relaxation helps with improved blood circulation, regenerating the muscle tissues.
4)Accelerate muscle injury and recovery -As gravity is reduced from your muscles, built up tension decreases, it helps every muscle in your body with some hard core relaxation.
5) Lowers blood pressure-Complete isolation of all senses while inside the Relaxopod,cuts off sensory stimuli of sight, sound,smell and touch calming the nervous system, resulting in lowering overall blood pressure levels.
6)Reduction of inflammation and swelling-The high concentration of Epsom salt (650 kg) dissolved in the float pod will flush out harmful toxins, soothing out swelling and inflammation.
7)Relief from migraines and headaches -Endorphins, a natural happiness chemical in the body, triggers positive emotion and pain relief. Endorphins are released while floating, providing the body with a sense of mood elation, critical for alleviating migraines and headaches.
8) Body cleansing and Detoxification-Epsom salt multiplies the number of digestive enzymes in the pancreas thereby strengthening the walls in the digestive tract helping to release toxins.
9) Improves nervous function – Electrolytes are electronically charged minerals that balance the body’s essential fluids, and are the key essentials of Epsom salt.
10) Soothes nervous system -Epsom salt, when absorbed through the skin helps voluntary (muscle) and involuntary (heartbeat) movements.
11)Boost Deficient Magnesium levels-The National Institute of Health statistics state that anywhere from 68 to 80 percent of the population are magnesium deficient. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) used in float therapy is absorbed by the skin, increasing magnesium levels.
12) Strengthens bones -Many of us Indians do not have a proper balance of calcium to magnesium. Magnesium plays a vital role in balancing calcium levels in the body. A healthy 2:1 ratio promotes the strengthening of bones and helps to restrict osteoporosis.
13) Improve circulation -Magnesium stops arterial hardening. It also helps to better utilize oxygen. When both are combined, it will increase blood circulation.
14) Generate proteins in the body – Epsom salt comprises of magnesium and sulfate. Sulfate is a key ingredient in forming proteins inside your joints. The results in easy absorption by the skin while floating. Magnesium is required for biochemical reactions aiding DNA and RNA synthesis (replication).
15) Accelerate Metabolism for better digestion-Magnesium is responsible in the metabolism processes of all nutrients, including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
HOW DOES PREVENTIVE HEALTH CARE WORK WITH FLOAT THERAPY ?
Sensory deprivation in a floatation pod or tank is a method known for inducing deep meditative relaxation and subsequent positive health benefits experienced by patients suffering from stress,anxiety or muscle tension/ pains are encouraging many people to try it out.Floating has also been studied and research suggests that it can used as a tool for enhancing well-being and preventing illness in relatively healthy people. A small pilot study from 2011 suggested that floating might promote employee health and prevent the need for sick leave by tackling workplace stress and anxiety. And a randomized trial published in 2014 looked at floating as a preventive health care intervention and found that healthy participants reported significantly decreased stress and anxiety, overcoming depression tendencies along with significantly increased optimism, after floating.
What research studies say?
More recent research has focused on using floatation tanks to help people who suffer from medical conditions. A number of studies have shown floating may be useful for people who experience chronic pain disorders. Some evidence suggests patients with generalised stress and anxiety disorders may benefit from floating. Researchers are exploring whether floating might serve as a treatment for people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and results are encouraging with many doctors in the western countries prescribing it as an alternative form of treatment.